Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Drum Stick Bag


I find it challenging to make handmade items for my husband. I haven't tried to make him much in our ten years together. A year ago I attempted to make a carrying case for his drum sticks. Took the idea of child's crayon/colored pencil holder and expanded the size. I can't remember which sites I looked at but I know there are lots out there - some adorable ones on etsy too.

I went with felt on the inside, canvas on the outside and bias tape for the sides - it was hideous and showed EVERY flaw. I also picked a tan canvas thinking my kids would paint/decorate it for him but that didn't end up happening. We had the canvas on hand after a place mat making project (with polka dot fabric on the back!). Trying to put wool felt and canvas together was tricky given the nature of two different materials.

This time around, I made the whole bag a bit larger, used a dark color for the outside and for my lining found an old hexagonal, brown corduroy table cloth that was my grandmothers. The corduroy was fabulously soft and worn but not in use since it was for a table long gone in the 80s. I also had found a large ball of trim that turned on the wrong side matched the burgundy and the brown in a delightful way. 

The kids loved that when it was done we could bundle it up, tie it with the bow and it looked like a wrapped present.

No comments:

Post a Comment