Thursday, March 29, 2012

Tuesday Fairies


Tuesdays are now our official art class day when the little one is napping. The class originated after our 6 week session of yoga ended and I asked the 3yr old what she'd like to do next. Art. I looked into programs at a museum school but I simply couldn't afford the price tag. 

Then I pitched the idea: Tuesday afternoons would be art class. I would officially teach and get materials together. I would stop doing "mommy things" (all the never ending chores are now titled in our house) and sit with the girls while they worked. The class would start as soon as baby E (15months) went to sleep and there would be snack. 


Last week we checked out a fun art book at the library, I may need to track it down for our collection but you can look at it here. It is a sweet spiral bound book of drawing and painting techniques that the kids can do with very little help from an adult. The book inspired us to learn how to paint and draw some fairies. 



We started with watercolor shapes. Basic head, triangle body, two wings, hair and a dot for the top of a wand. I brought out the hair dryer to speed up the drying a little and once the paint was dry we added our detail in pen. 


Tracing the head, dress, adding feet all made for fun conversation and a very satisfying product. I think I may have to go back and dabble now that the girls are asleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment