Monday, September 17, 2012

Hair Sticks




On my honeymoon, the only trinket I bought was a carved hair stick. It has served me well for the past 7 years, until recently when it broke. After trying to clean up my work space I found a few old broken knitting needles and transformed them into hair sticks or hair pins. The larger wooden one I put in the pencil sharpener to bring back the point and then sanded it all over.


Deciding how to decorate it with out loosing the natural wood feel, was tricky. I dipped the end in  old enamel paint to add a bit of gloss and when dry added two highlights of gold. Subtle, but me.

 There are a few more in the works with beads, colorful paint and maybe even some wire. If my oldest hadn't used up my kitchen stash of chopsticks for a puppet making project, I would still be making hair sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment